Sussex in the community
At the University of Sussex we are lucky to be part of a vibrant mix of communities and cultures, and we care about the role we play.
By engaging with residents, businesses, charities and other local partners, we hope to make a positive difference to our local area. Our work includes:
- public engagement and outreach through Soapbox Science
- students making a difference through free legal advice
- surveying the Sussex coastline to support biodiversity
- using kindness research to improve adolescent wellbeing
- sharing insight into issues impacting our local communities.
Local Nursery run by Sussex Alumnus is named ‘Nursery of The Year 2022’
The forest kindergarten of Early Years Education MA alumnus and Sussex partner, Lucy Owen-Collins, has been crowned 'Nursery of the Year 2022'.
Business School staff give back to the local community
Business School Professional Services staff volunteer their time to help several local charities in Sussex over the summer as part of 'Away Week'.
Dr Abigail Jamieson was among Brighton and Sussex Medical School’s newly qualified medics who joined the NHS during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Read Abigail's story and other in-depth features of how we’re helping our community.